Thursday, November 22, 2007

What I'm Thankful For This Thanksgiving


As many of you spend your Thanksgiving day remembering why you've moved far away from various family members, I've taken the time to reflect on the things that have truly made my life better.

Recently, I've learned, thanks to toys made in China, it is no longer necessary to purchase roofies to enjoy dating. While this revelation has enabled me to stock up on children's toys at discount prices, it doesn't begin to touch upon the elements of life that really impact me on a daily basis. And when I refer to the elements of life that impact me on a daily basis, I am talking about the homeless. As someone who lives in a City, homeless people like to ask me for selfish things like "help" and "change" frequently. In fact, it is a challenge just to leave the house and not feel guilty about having the choice to bathe in public.

Luckily, thanks to Apple, I no longer have to pay attention to the homeless. Therefore, I'm spending my Thanksgiving saluting the new iPod. That's right, the new iPod comes with a much larger video screen to ensure that I never have to feel uncomfortable ignoring the homeless.

Sure, I could ignore the homeless before on my old iPod. It wasn't too hard because I could turn up the music loud enough so I could not hear the homeless, but I could still see them! Believe me, it made for some awkward moments. Fortunately, I am horrible at reading lips, which means that when the homeless asked for food and I responded with a thoughtful, "Yeah, I am sure you want booze," it usually led to an abrupt end to another awkward conversation with the homeless.

Thankfully, Steve Jobs hates the homeless as much as I do, which is why the new iPod features an enhanced video screen. As a result, I no longer have to make eye contact with anyone that I don't find attractive. Call it a coincidence, but I haven't seen a homeless person in San Francisco since the new iPod was released. It's not that they don't exist, it's just that I don't have to acknowledge them anymore because now I can watch Carrie Underwood videos as I walk through this beautiful City.

If, like me, you are uncomfortable by people who don't look like you, I encourage you to spend Thanksgiving being thankful for the new iPod. Go pick one up! You'll never have to talk to that guy on the bus who always says hello, your co-worker with an obvious birth defect, and most definitely the homeless. So until Apple releases an iPod that makes sure we can't smell old people, we should all be thankful for a device that easily allows us to avoid awkward interaction. Just remember to take your eyes off the new iPod when crossing the street.

No comments: